Background

Google
 

Friday, June 29, 2007

Aye Dios Mios Madresita!

I adore my mother....I mean hey, I got my funny from her....(those of you wondering what funny I am talking about can just shut up now!)...I also got my premature gray hair....but I love her anyway!

The thing about my mom is that usually we have to explain to her what is so funny. One prime example is the day that she came home MAD because all her students would laugh when she told them that she had bought some new thongs the weekend before. We had to explain that while they might have been called thongs in the seventies, now we call them flip flops. Thongs are what she calls G-strings. She of course turns ten shades and just leaves the room followed by our laughter.

My favorite mom-ism however is probably her simplest funny. While sitting on the hearth in our living room with a fire roaring behind her, she stops mid-sentence to ask "Is something burning?"

Don't get me wrong, my mom is not stupid....quite the opposite actually, but you know how intelligent people sometimes miss the forest for the trees? Well, let just say my mother is oblivious of MOST forests.

This past weekend, she was in Austin visiting. We were sitting at a stop light at William Cannon and 35 when a homeless man walks in front of the car to cross the street. My mother leaned forward to get a better look at him and said, "I think I used to date him."

"Wait, what?"

"Ok well maybe not him exactly, but he looks just like him."

Seriously people, what the hell am I supposed to do with that? My mother used to date a guy that evidently looks exactly like the emaciated homeless man that I give a granola bar to every morning. And, she is oblivious to the fact that this causes me a moments pause!

All I can say is....trees...no forest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mom is so cool!